Your Derby Name: Machine
Position: Skating Official
Team Name: Santa Cruz Derby Girls
Day Job: Convergent Technologist (Engineer)
1. They are the only pair like them on the planet. Seriously. An unholy mating of Sure Grip XK4-DA45 plates to SIDI Vortice Air boots surgically performed by Fred 'DocSk8' Benjamin at Jam'n'Speed back in 2010 at my request. No sane person would look at a boot normally worn when racing motorcycles and think, "You know what, I bet I could skate in that."
2. They are bomb-proof. Sure the boot is bulky, the articulated external ankle joints creak during crossovers, and the plate is heavy enough to use on the end of a length of chain to keep a luxury yacht in place. But... they have never once suffered a single mechanical failure in five years of brutal abuse.
3. They make me feel invincible. Doesn't matter how hard I fall, how twisted up I get, or who falls on me... The Robocop boots have always kept my ankles injury-free.
4. Meditation. Even after the crappiest day at work when it seems like the entire world is out to get me, an hour on my skates seems to calm me down and make everything right in the world. Something about the glide just makes me a happier less stabby individual.
5. Uh, Roller Derby... No brainer. I've never been a big sports participant, or a sit-on-the-couch-and-watch-sports person. But something about Derby just clicked. I love officiating, I love occasionally playing, I love being a fan and screaming at the TV during playoffs. And if it wasn't for Roller Derby I wouldn't get to enjoy my skates nearly as much as I do.
If you would like to give us your Top 5 reasons why you love your skates then check out our Reddit Post and send some stuff in to us.